Monday, May 24, 2010

Week 9: Set Back/Sit Back

This week was all about settling into summer, and (hopefully) establishing a new workout regime.  Turned out to be more like settling into hopefully establishing summer.

Monday: In a fervor of frustration at my lack of exercise from last week, I launched myself onto a Spinning bike during lunchtime and proceeded to sweat out every ounce of motivation over a period of 45 minutes.  I spun so fast that the pedals started to feel like tiny prison mouths on my feet.  That, combined with the raving barks of our instructor - who was NOT spinning, but pacing around on two feet - reminded me of the similarities I have found in the past with militant gym experiences.
The best moment of the day was realizing I spent my lunch break between my four finals in a healthy expenditure of stress.

Tuesday: Happy to have completed my second year of graduate school, I quickly caught up on the dormant sickness that had been waiting to attack for the past five months.  Confined to bed with a nasty head cold and sheer exhaustion, I dragged my poor feet onto the elliptical machine and then switched to running as fast as I could to clear out my sinuses.  I may have discovered a new workout motivation - the Breathe-Easy Routine.

Wednesday: Still fighting the residual sickness, I slept and slept and slept.

Thursday: Going into work, I did not feel like doing any sort of physical activity, but convinced myself to just do 10 minutes.  after 10 minutes, if I didn't want to keep going, I promised myself I could stop.  So, I hopped in the pool, and 10 minutes was all I did.

Friday: Nearly missed the bus out of the city to DC for brother's graduation ceremonies.  Walked all over 34th St area and then did a hotel workout upon arrival that consisted of jumping rope (mimicking the rope, of course) in one place until my calves wanted to fall off.  Worked up a nice little sweat doing that, and then did some sit-ups and push-ups.  Still, I am never quite satisfied with anything less than a 30-minute regime.

Saturday: Graduation festivities and tromping around everywhere in heels.  That counts for something on most days, except all the graduation toasts and meals made up for that.

Sunday: Cleaned house, in heels again (this wasn't on the original grad weekend celebration list), and literally swept up dust bunnies from the graduating seniors' apartment.  That and walking around everywhere surely added up to a pedometer reading, but nothing in the way of cardiorespiratory...unless you count the sneezing from all the sweeping.

And then, getting home late Sunday night, I couldn't bring myself to write about the week, as I sensed I had failed somehow.  I suppose the stress of completing my second year, coupled with the idea that I still have work to do, and there's no vacation I've planned for just myself...well, those things made me feel like I should just sit down and give up - or at least give myself a break.  I'm still down about the lack of progress I can(not) see, and herein I'm facing (again) my termination point.  This is usually the place where I give up and get extremely frustrated and refuse to subject myself to physical torment.
However, instead of giving up completely, I started a running group at the House.  That, i suppose, was a step in the right direction.  We'll start on Monday evenings.  Hopefully, the new workout regime will find a way to create itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment