Monday, April 12, 2010

Week Three: Reconfiguring

I crawled into bed last night at 1am, knowing that I didn't get the post up in time, but satisfied that I had carved out time to exercise this week with the hectic schedule. If last week was stressful, this week was burn-out.

Monday: A quick workout on my lunch break for 20 minutes. Not enough to fill my craving for starting-the-week-off-with-a-bang, but a much needed mental freshener for the rest of the day.

Tuesday: The day got the best of me and I didn't make time for exercising. I did, however, fill my brain with so much Shakespearean langauge that I felt as if I had run a marathon.

Wednesday: see Tuesday.

Thursday: Worked out for a half hour in the pool. Literally the only time I had, due to being in class until 10:30pm that evening. I thought, before I began my workout, "I am going to enjoy swimming. It's something I like, being in the water, so why not just have a good time?" And, miraculously, after killing a half-mile, I felt like I could have swam for another whole hour.

Friday: Jazzed by Thursday's mentality, I woke up super early and went for yoga in the East Village. It's my new favorite thing. After that, I faced Grotowski and, after an hour and a half of racked sobbing and physical exhaustion, all I wanted was to go to sleep. Which I managed to do around 11 o'clock that night.

Saturday: Spent the day in - a cancelled rehearsal left room for me to catch up on work and do some housecleaning, and around 3pm, I went on what I like to call the "Little Red Lighthouse Run". Starting near Grant's Tomb, I run up through Riverside Park to the George Washington Bridge - so close that I'm practically standing underneath it. And right at the water's edge is a little red lighthouse from the 1800s that is, though defunct, a historical landmark of NYC. It's not much taller than a regular house, and it's far enough away that a "there-and-back" run will take an hour or so. The weather was nice, and I was feeling anxious to get in enough working out to constitute a week's worth, so...success.

Sunday: A nice hour and a half at the gym - 30 minutes on the Spinning bike, and an hour doing weights - a "pushing" day. This is a new idea I picked up from some of the guys who are in there regularly: you can have pushing days or pulling days, and structure your workout based on those sorts of activities. I think there are two other sorts of days you can have, but I forget. Anyhow, it's a nice respite to go in and say, "What can I pull on?" for each muscle, rather than having to go and staple yourself to one machine or endure lunges yet again. Wokring out in the afternoons make me extremely tired by the day's end, so I slept well, albeit not enough.

This week, I really started to enjoy myself during my workouts: my heart wasn't thudding as hard as usual, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of Sunday's workout...it would not have been that easy a few weeks ago. I think it's time to bump up either intensity or duration...which means I must be making progress!
This week's focus: more weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment