Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One...and a Half

Hello Marathon Fans!
It's that time again.  My running clock has woken from hibernation and is ready to take on another epic race.  Given the constraints of weather (New York winter) and timing (last semester of the MFA degree), I've opted for a 13.1 race.  Just enough mileage to get that mild ego boost from begin able to say I've run one marathon...and a half.  Yes, it's crossed my mind that I could continue training beyond the race day for a full, but time will tell what the fates have in store for my legs this season.

I've been excited to get back to training, reading up on the knowledge I used to have about running techniques, proper injury prevention, and even some nutritional tips.  I've mapped out an 11-week schedule that should be pretty easy to maintain between and after classes, although I anticipate some long sessions on a treadmill here and there.

Today was the first training session, and as the fates would have it, the dog accompanied me for all of 2 miles.  The dog (who has recently built up more mileage in one year than I have in the past three years)  proved to be an effective pacer: since we ran in a new part of town, he led the way, in excitement over all the new smells and potential potty spots.  While I was trying to maintain a 12-min mile, his nose was keeping a 10-min mile.  I noticed the familiar ache in my lungs during the last .4 miles, which reminded me that the runs get longer, but never easier; the burn will be there if I'm consistently training hard.  The flip side is the mental grit that comes from working through the mild discomfort...another benefit of training that comes with the mileage.  I can't wait until I can once again run more than 2 miles without feeling like I've just been "hanging on for the ride."

And although the dog will not be accompanying me again on a run (at least not for some time), I will say that nothing inspires mental toughness like having to pick up dog poop mid-stride.

1 comment:

  1. yay!! are you sure I cannot convince you of the full marathon I am running May 1st? Goodluck! Cousin Stephy

    ReplyDelete