Thursday, July 26, 2007

DOMS and Calves

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Let me tell you, it's the worst and/or best part of training. Although I've been training pretty hard with the team, and despite the fact that the runs are only going to get tougher as we log more mileage, I haven't given up my rock climbing activities. But, the caveat to this routine is DOMS.

Last night, I climbed pretty hard at the gym. My forearms felt like molten lead after about an hour...something Coach Jess likes to call being "pumped out" - though it feels more like worn out. I was proud that I climbed so hard, but felt the effects this morning.

Coupled with DOMS from climbing (my upper back is a nest of knots), I've been battling what I thought were shin splints. However, after visiting SMI this morning, I've been informed that my calves are just extremely tight, and the muscles hidden under the initial calf muscles are the source of the pain. I then experienced what I like to call "Leg Lamaze" - controlled breathing while you get a deep tissue therapist to work out the tightness in your inner calves. For an hour, I endured what can only be described as teeth-gritting, tingly-toed deep tissue massage. The therapist worked out the muscles in back and in front of the calf region, and I did all I could not to flail about and yelp in surprised agony.

The good news is, I just need to stretch more. The bad news is, I have to stretch alot more. We're talking two to three times a day.

Catch me at work. I'll be the one with her shoes off, hunched near her desk in some awkward position, pretending to be checking the power strip for the computer.

2 comments:

  1. Sarahbear,

    This is great!!! You ARE one tough cookie. Keep up the great work. We're routing for you here in Cincy. Stay healthy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Leg Lamaze analogy.
    You go girl - Doug and Roger are also rooting for you!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete